Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Baking in Berlin // Blueberry Clafoutis




When you move to or just visit a foreign city it is natural (and crucial) to seek out sources of comfort and familiarity. Otherwise you are just going to feel awkward and displaced all the time and no one, not even me, Ms. Let's-see-how-far-from-my-comfort-zone-I-can-get, enjoys that.

Obviously it's important to take risks and go out of your way to see new places and things or strike up conversations with random strangers on park benches, but you also need to give yourself a break. I often have a hard time with that because I love doing everything at once, but breaks need to be taken. That's why in Berlin I have already found my favorite coffee shop with cozy corners and amazing cookies, where I can go and blend into the crowd by sticking my nose in a book and downing cappuccinos. And why I go on the same run in the same park every other day listening to my favorite music from back home. I cook myself nice dinners and every once in a while, treat myself by baking some kind of fabulous dessert. And share it only to win the affection of my flatmates. Kidding- I would share anyway... right?



What I'm saying is you have to balance the comfort and the risk-taking. Otherwise your mind might explode. So take a risk and try making this dessert, then relish in the warm delicious comfort of sugar, cinnamon and blueberries.


Blueberry Cinnamon Clafoutis

3 eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk or non-dairy milk
¾ cup flour
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 cup blueberries
powdered sugar, to serve

Preheat your oven to 375ยบ and melt 2 tbsp butter in a round or oval pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until frothy, then stir in sugar, flour, cinnamon and mix for a couple minutes. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and place blueberries evenly on top.

Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top edges turn a lovely golden brown. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.



Bing bang boom. Easy fancy dessert. Sit back, make some tea, have a large piece, and relax.
You probably deserve it.

1 comment:

  1. Love your sense of balancing comfort and risk-taking. Think I will try this recipe very soon!

    ReplyDelete