Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Frosted Eggnog Cookies

*UPDATE: These cookies have been given a little make-over on my new website, www.rubyjosephine.com
Click here for the updated recipe!*


This is the season where I perpetually smell like flour, butter, sugar and spice. 
Do you smell cookies?
Yeah, that's just Ruby. 

The things is, I don't always love eggnog- I kind of feel like I'm slurping pudding out of a cup- but anything is better in cookie form. My family even said these were so good they might become a new holiday tradition, which is saying a lot because we take our Christmas traditions pretty seriously. Everything we do, down to the music we listen to, the ornaments we hang, the friends we see, the Christmas breakfast we make, we have been doing it all since before I can even remember. Christmas is my rock among the other crazy fluctuating things in life. 


However. Adding in some new melt-in-your-mouth cookies to our book of traditions? I can live with that.



Frosted Eggnog Cookies
vegan (adapted from Cooking Classy)

makes 2 dozen cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tsp egg replacer powder mixed with 1/4 cup water (or 2 eggs, for non-vegan)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut milk eggnog (Silk soynog works too, or just regular eggnog)

Frosting
1/2 cup vegan margarine
3-5 tbsp eggnog
3 cups powdered sugar

You know the drill- preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugars with a fork until fluffy. Whisk in the egg replacer, vanilla and eggnog. Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and mix until combined. Scoop out the cookie dough by the tablespoon and roll into balls before flattening onto the baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

While the cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting by combining the ingredients in a food processor. Start with 3 tbsp of eggnog and add more as needed until the frosting is thick and creamy. Once the cookies are completely cool, frost generously and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.


Merry Christmas, everyone! Eat lots of cookies and give lots of hugs.

3 comments:

  1. These look good! I am sharing these on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby, those look amazing! I will surely try them out in search of the perfect Christmas cookie (the process is a joy in itself of course ;) ).
    best, d.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these for a Christmas party yesterday! They're really good! I used flax for the egg replace, and Earth balance sticks for the margarine. They have an amazing flavor and I would recommend them! My only suggestion is to bake them a little longer, just to get some more texture and a little more crispyness on the bottom (they are cooked through completely, but very pillowy)! :)

    ReplyDelete